Thursday 9 August 2012

Can the Skill of Cooking be Absorbed by Osmosis?

It has abruptly occurred to me that the skill of cooking is not absorbed by osmosis. The love of food and connecting in the kitchen may be, but the actual act of making things needs to be learned hands on. Food and cooking have been my career. That means I am in the kitchen a lot of the time. Maybe at times I have let a sous chef or 2 off the hook. I thought that maybe by osmosis they would pick it up. They don't. I have discovered that teaching the act of cooking is like teaching your sous chef how to drive. I would say, " drive me to the Kinsmen Center", They would look at me with a blank stare, "Are you kidding me we have been there a million times." Until they actually drove it, they did not know how to get there. No matter how busy your sous chefs are they need to spend some time actually cooking in the kitchen. Once they go there they will know how to return. I have discovered that knowing how to cook is not absorbed by osmosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment