Wednesday 8 August 2012

Toasted Tomato Sandwich with Aioli & Fresh Herbs


 I am in BC and the field tomatoes are in. Today I toasted fresh bread, topped each slice with herb infused aioli and gently layed on top thin, juicy slices of tomato. I cut my sandwich in quarters and the fourth quarter went straight to my mouth before it hit the plate. I am still salivating at the thought of it.

Aioli with Fresh Herbs

Aioli, a fresh garlic mayonnaise moves up a notch when mixed with fresh chopped herbs. I tried blending the herbs into the aioli but I prefer when they are chopped fine and mixed in at the end with the salt and pepper. This way you can get just the perfect amount.

Ingredients
1 egg
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, peeled

1 cup quality vegetable oil

Sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper
2-4 Tbsp fresh chopped herbs, sage or thyme or parsley or basil or your favorite, chopped fine

Order of Events
1.      Place the egg, lemon juice and garlic in a food processor or blender and process until well combined.
2.      With the motor running on the lowest speed, slowly pour the oil in a thin stream and process until the mixture is thick and creamy.
3.      Stir in salt, pepper and fresh herbs until the flavour is perfect.

Kitchen Ideas
A toasted field tomato and aioli with fresh herb sandwich is drippingly good.

1 comment:

  1. That tomato sandwich description had me salivating, too! I can't eat a sandwich without lettuce, though. No lettuce, Bunny?

    Thanks for the driving analogy. I am there now. Funny how you don't think something as simple as 'use plain yogurt, not vanilla' in dressing would have to be explained. Sort of like 'left signal is down, right is up'.

    ReplyDelete